North Weald AirfieldBack North Weald Airfield Museum Ad Astra House, 6 Hurricane Way, North Weald, Essex. CM16 6AA
Originally constructed in 1916, North Weald became one of the south-east's premier airfields in WWII.
- Year of construction
Originally constructed in 1916, North Weald became one of the south-east's premier airfields in WWII. During the Battle of Britain it was a sector station in No. 11 Group equipped with Hurricanes of No. 56 and No. 151 Squadrons but by the end of hostilities it had been home to over 20 squadrons of fighter aircraft including Spitfires and Mustangs. At the beginning of World War Two it had two paved runways, each 50' wide. The north-south runway was 2800 feet (850 m) long and the east-west was 2750 feet (840 m). The airfield occupied a total of 400 acres (161 hectares). As well as the runways, the airfield was also equipped with a perimeter track around which were positioned 23 frying-pan aircraft dispersals, 26 protected pens and 10 Blister hangars. Two T-2 hangars were constructed on the west side opposite the earlier complex) and a watch office. It is home to many private aircraft and historic types, and is host to a wide range of events throughout the year, including the Air-Britain Classic Fly-In and smaller airshows. There is a museum at the main entrance, open in season on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays (for details see www.northwealdairfieldmuseum.com/).